Reading rows and columns in Word table

Cearbhall O'Meadhra

Hello all,

I am using Word 2016 in windows 10 and NVDA 2016.3

I wonder if you can help me with this task? I am attaching a sample of a
Word 2016 table that contains varying row lengths. This is a doctored copy
of an audit report table that is shaped like this for visual effect. I found
it difficult to understand until a sighted person explained what each row
was meant to convey.
I have placed a sample portion of the table in a dropbox folder. Here is the
link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jd3umb62iimo5su/sample%20table.docx?dl=0

Row 2 has data only in cell 1 and the NVDA cursor slips back up to row 1
because columns 3 and 4 have null data in them in row 2.

Next, the last four rows are similarly shortened and NVDA slips back up one
or two rows when it meets the non-existent cells in columns 4 and 5.

The "Alt GR" key to the right of the space bar does nothing in Word 2016 as
a table control moderator key. For this reason, I am navigating the table
using the left control and alt keys with the right arrow key to move right
along the rows and control + alt with the up and down arrows to move up and
down the table rows.

Are there other keystrokes that I could use in NVDA that would recognise the
end of row 2 and 16 rather than spill over onto the upper lines? I hate to
mention the opposition, but JAWS 17 does stop on the row even it is one or
two cells shorter than that above!

I should mention that columns 1 and 2 are merged in the last four rows but
neither screen reader recognises that fact and so calls the third column
"column 2" and the fourth one "column 3" etc. Is there a setting in NVDA
that can detect the merged columns?

All the best,

Cearbhall

-----
version doesn't have this disclaimer in outgoing emails.

-----
version doesn't have this disclaimer in outgoing emails.