Re: In-Process for 7th September is out

Arlene

Wow! Yes, those were the good old days. I didn’t think that’s still around. I liked Decktalk during its time. But now to me, it’s a thing of the past. I liked it. But now I don’t have it anymore.  I used to use dectalk express. It quit working. I ended up with a computer that did not have a sereal port that the dectalk used to connect to. I ended up chucking it out.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: Shaun Everiss
Sent: September 8, 2020 8:03 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] In-Process for 7th September is out

Yes, I agree its totally crap now.

Thing was back in 1998 through 2014 or there abouts there was a team

of people, mostly radio hams and audio freaks, guys like patrick

perdue, jason smith, etc that sort of ellivated it over its station.

There is still an archive on resilio sync.

Its still about, no longer updated, however there is a 2gb content

library of software, music, text and the like.

So here is its downfall.

Hardware abstraction layer.

So for all the dumbies here and there are probably quite a few of you

about, basically in a nutshell after microsoft abandoned the old 9x

dos style windows os, they really got serious on direct connect

devices that accessed the hardware.

Now this is probably a good thing security wize windows has many

interupt or irq ports serial ports and the like.

No one really use physical serial anyway so it doesn't matter much.

But for a while there were serial [ports up through xp.

Now you certainly can buy usb serial ports, serial cards and yes

actually serial or paralel ports should you really want them but thats

becides the point.

Virtualised stuff seems to be how it all goes to.

Basically, to avoid conflicts and crashes, your hardware never talks

to windows directly.

Program talks to driver and driver talks to windows kernal library and

that talks to the kernal and its all seemless and such.

It used to be that stuff talked to eachother.

Thats fine in dos maybe, linux maybe and older windows, but well on

modern systems with so many extras more than 4 serial ports, usb ports

and physical and virtual connections it doesn't make that much sence.

So anyway, you try to communicate with something like a dectalk with

your windows xp and it tries to direct connect.

Windows hates you for life.

It actually in the case of xp will destroy your installation.

I tried several times in the past, 10 times to be honest.

10 times, windows locked.

10 times windows didn't reboot.

10 times I had to reformat and reinstall.

In contrast my old keynote stuff never had this issue so who knows the

inns and outs of it.

There is probably a technical junkpile explaining it, just to say in

simple terms in modern systems direct connection of anything similar

to connecting a system without a serge protector or your critical

devices without a ups or security without a firewall is a bad idea.

Thats basically why no one bothers with dectalk anymore.

Now there are usb versions but to be honest with the load of software

speech its just not echonomical.

The other thing is that its 8 bit.

Thats nice on your portable small speakered devices but after 4.3 of

the kernal even though after dectalk went to phonics, the 5x modern

dectalk never sounded right.

I have 16 bit eloquence where they try to convert and upsample it and

well it never sounded right.

Back then you had speakers with limited ranges, etc.

Dectalk was never designed for modern sound hardware plain and simple.

It was never meant to do more than speak.

Singing was a gimic, the only reason it took off was that a few

decided to do it and do it well, they even put it in sound projects.

Now you can emulate this with plugins like chipspeak and there is an

analog something which I forget.

Dectalk aint crap, but its reached the end of its lifecycle.

The best version right now is a coppy of the demo 4.3 software player

if you can get it.

manuals to write speech files in dec language should be about somewhere.

But yeah if someone wants to put that as its own faq or something feel

free to copy it.

It was one of the best synths of its time.

The closest you can get is vocalwriter or vocaloid for the mac or

flinger for festival and no I have never managed to get that all

working.

Also you probably can't get it to work on its own without audio

editing software so well.

Now if anyone wants the archive bt sync key, email me off list and I'll give it.

its 2gb of files, but its not been updated in years.

Still, its got all the best, and worst creations in it.

Its the only record.

It to will die, because once all the users including myself pass I

don't think anyone will be reseeding it.