Re: Over verbosity in the Winamp plugin

Damien Garwood

Hi Gene,
Agreed, when I made that particular update (back in the good old Python 2 days!), I had a few other things in mind that I wanted to do with it, including a setting to toggle the verbosity.
I guess that's as good an excuse as any to get my rusty old brain to at least try and make friends with the Python 3 books and the rather hazy and labyrinthic NVDA development documentation and see if I can get an update released at some point.
Cheers,
Damien.

On 10/09/2020 09:40 am, Gene wrote:
I could have written this as a direct comment to the authors of the plugin, but it may be better to get different opinions here so the authors may have a better sense of what people want, to the extent that the comments may or may not be representative.
I am asking that certain speech be taken out of the plugin or that it be off by default.  Specifically, the announcement of play, stop, ;paused and unpaused.  There are times when you don't need speech to tell you something. The action is immediately evident in what a program does and at times, the speech is intrusive and annoying.  When listening to audio, self-evident announcements such as I mentioned above are, to me intrusive and annoying. I don't object to the rest of the speech. Hering on and off or centered is useful to confirm that a command has been carried out.  It isn't nearly as obvious without speech, for example, if you turn repeat on, you wont know it is on until the file repeats.