Re: Over verbosity in the Winamp plugin

Gene

Maybe, but it may be too much work for a small change from a technical standpoint. Perhaps someone else who regularly works with the current code could very quickly and easily make the change.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, September 10, 2020 4:55 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Over verbosity in the Winamp plugin

Hi Gene,
Agreed, when I made that particular update (back in the good old Python
2 days!), I had a few other things in mind that I wanted to do with it,
including a setting to toggle the verbosity.
I guess that's as good an excuse as any to get my rusty old brain to at
least try and make friends with the Python 3 books and the rather hazy
and labyrinthic NVDA development documentation and see if I can get an
update released at some point.
Cheers,
Damien.

On 10/09/2020 09:40 am, Gene wrote:
I could have written this as a direct comment to the authors of the plugin, but it may be better to get different opinions here so the authors may have a better sense of what people want, to the extent that the comments may or may not be representative.

I am asking that certain speech be taken out of the plugin or that it be off by default. Specifically, the announcement of play, stop, ;paused and unpaused. There are times when you don't need speech to tell you something. The action is immediately evident in what a program does and at times, the speech is intrusive and annoying. When listening to audio, self-evident announcements such as I mentioned above are, to me intrusive and annoying. I don't object to the rest of the speech. Hering on and off or centered is useful to confirm that a command has been carried out. It isn't nearly as obvious without speech, for example, if you turn repeat on, you wont know it is on until the file repeats.

Gene

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.