Re: Over verbosity in the Winamp plugin

Gene

Maybe, but it may be too much work for a small change from a technical standpoint. Perhaps someone else who regularly works with the current code could very quickly and easily make the change.

From: Damien Garwood
Sent: Thursday, September 10, 2020 4:55 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Over verbosity in the Winamp plugin

Hi Gene,
Agreed, when I made that particular update (back in the good old Python
2 days!), I had a few other things in mind that I wanted to do with it,
including a setting to toggle the verbosity.
I guess that's as good an excuse as any to get my rusty old brain to at
least try and make friends with the Python 3 books and the rather hazy
and labyrinthic NVDA development documentation and see if I can get an
update released at some point.
Cheers,
Damien.

On 10/09/2020 09:40 am, Gene wrote:
I could have written this as a direct comment to the authors of the plugin, but it may be better to get different opinions here so the authors may have a better sense of what people want, to the extent that the comments may or may not be representative.

I am asking that certain speech be taken out of the plugin or that it be off by default. Specifically, the announcement of play, stop, ;paused and unpaused. There are times when you don't need speech to tell you something. The action is immediately evident in what a program does and at times, the speech is intrusive and annoying. When listening to audio, self-evident announcements such as I mentioned above are, to me intrusive and annoying. I don't object to the rest of the speech. Hering on and off or centered is useful to confirm that a command has been carried out. It isn't nearly as obvious without speech, for example, if you turn repeat on, you wont know it is on until the file repeats.