Re: Update on previously mentioned issue with single-letternavigation

Quentin Christensen

I too read "Single letter navigation", which is a specific term used to indicate pressing say H to move to the next heading on a web page.

So, now we know it's "First letter navigation" on the desktop, yes I can replicate.  We do have an issue for this here: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/10971

The workaround I'd suggest is to create a configuration profile for explorer (when on the desktop) and in that profile, turn off speak typed characters and speak command keys.

I wrote a piece for In-Process on doing this awhile ago.  The specific steps in the article are to change the "Say all" profile, but at the step where you create a new profile, tab to "Use this profile for" and right arrow to "Current program", it will set it up for the current program.  (Otherwise it is also covered in several topics in Basic Training for NVDA in more depth).

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Thu, Sep 10, 2020 at 10:19 PM Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
I read the message again and I see it discusses the desktop and not quick
navigation commands in browse mode.  I also checked and I see that when
moving by letter on the desktop, letters are announced.  So, somehow, that
may be related to the problem.

I think of single letter navigation as what is used as quick navigation
commands on web pages and I didn't realize the message was talking about the
desktop.  When navigating on the desktop or other lists, the term usually
used is first letter navigation, and not seeing it and seeing the other
caused me to misread the message.