Re: NVDA support in DOS emulators like DosBox?

David Griffith

As I understand it and I am no expert the real barrier to running ?Dos applications in modern windows is the 64 bit architecture.

So if you have access to an older Windows running under 32 bit  Windows  Dos programs should still work though obviously NVDA would not support these.

This PC world article seems to confirm this.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3085032/how-to-run-a-dos-program-in-windows-10.html

If however you want to practice using Dos Commands at the OS level for disc and file operations or even bat files then of course the vast bulk of these are I think still available simply by running a command prompt in Windows for which NVDA provides good access. I think a combination of sourcing a n older 32bit architecture  for accessing Dos applications and learning the  operations available under the command prompt may be more straightforward  than trying to build in access for an emulator.

An alternative approach although a completely different project would be to use the new facility of Windows to now run a Linux machine  within its environment and try using the Orca screenreader in that  to support your investigation. The advantage of this is that rather than rooting back to the largely obsolete Dos past you will be exploring the possibilities of a entirely current command line interface to run and manage apps under that OS to potentially add a lot of value and possible excitement.

– that would be a fascinating project to report any accessibility possibilities there with the whole world of Linux apps available to you. If you managed to develop these skills they may even be transferable to a Chrome OS environment with their similar ability to support Linux shells opening up the possibilities  of Windows/Chrome Book interoperability models.

Certainly beyond me but you could make a name for yourself with such an investigation.

David G.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10