Re: NVDA support in DOS emulators like DosBox?

David Griffith

As I understand it and I am no expert the real barrier to running ?Dos applications in modern windows is the 64 bit architecture.

So if you have access to an older Windows running under 32 bit  Windows  Dos programs should still work though obviously NVDA would not support these.

This PC world article seems to confirm this.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3085032/how-to-run-a-dos-program-in-windows-10.html

If however you want to practice using Dos Commands at the OS level for disc and file operations or even bat files then of course the vast bulk of these are I think still available simply by running a command prompt in Windows for which NVDA provides good access. I think a combination of sourcing a n older 32bit architecture  for accessing Dos applications and learning the  operations available under the command prompt may be more straightforward  than trying to build in access for an emulator.

An alternative approach although a completely different project would be to use the new facility of Windows to now run a Linux machine  within its environment and try using the Orca screenreader in that  to support your investigation. The advantage of this is that rather than rooting back to the largely obsolete Dos past you will be exploring the possibilities of a entirely current command line interface to run and manage apps under that OS to potentially add a lot of value and possible excitement.

– that would be a fascinating project to report any accessibility possibilities there with the whole world of Linux apps available to you. If you managed to develop these skills they may even be transferable to a Chrome OS environment with their similar ability to support Linux shells opening up the possibilities  of Windows/Chrome Book interoperability models.

Certainly beyond me but you could make a name for yourself with such an investigation.

David G.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: 12 September 2020 22:24
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA support in DOS emulators like DosBox?

Hi Leslie,

Fair question. Yup, it’s an ancient and completely outdated operating system. Retro computer stuff is a hobby / fascination of mine so I wanted to poke around and see what I could do in DOS. Maybe re-live my childhood a bit, haha. In other words, just for fun and no practical reason whatsoever.

Luke

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Leslie
Sent: Saturday, September 12, 2020 2:21 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA support in DOS emulators like DosBox?

Why do you want to work with such an old environment?  When I first got a computer in 2000, Dos was very, very old, at least in computer programs.  I think I had Windows 5 when I started.  I know my teacher used to like Dos when he wanted to go deep into the computer to do certain things with programs and such.  Does Dos help you with that sort of thing?  This is just my curiosity flowing.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Saturday, September 12, 2020 1:22 PM
Subject: [nvda] NVDA support in DOS emulators like DosBox?

Hi folks. I’d like to use DosBox, a piece of software that emulates an MS-DOS environment. (If you don’t know what I’m talking about, you’re probably younger than 30. Lol.) Anyhow, DosBox simulates the text-based DOS prompt but isn’t actually a text application. As far as NVDA is concerned, the DosBox window is all graphics.

Are there any strategies for making something like this accessible for us NVDA users? I’m a developer and recently started learning Python so I can author NVDA add-ons. Could an add-on be created that monitors the DosBox screen and translates it to NVDA-readable text, perhaps employing OCR or something? If so, would anyone want to partner on such a project?

Thanks,

Luke

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.