Re: NVDA support in DOS emulators like DosBox?

Luke Robinett

Hi Joseph. Right. The DOS box consul is not a text based Consol. It supports DOS applications that run in both text and graphics modes so when it displays text, it’s actually displaying a graphical representation of text. this is why in my first post I was wondering if an NVDA add-on could be created in python that would work something like the following:
1. Monitor the dos box Consol for any changes
2. Anytime a change is detected, apply OCR to convert the consul output to text
3. Compare this OCR snapshot to the previous and announce to NVDA whatever changed, such as the display scrolling, a value on the screen changing, etc.
I am brushing up on my python as we speak and I have identified some library’s that deal with taking a screen capture of the active application as well as OCR. I’m not sure if this exceeds the limitations of what NVDA add-ons are capable of but I figure it’s worth a shot. Plus, it gives me a good project to learn python, if nothing else.