Re: NVDA support in DOS emulators like DosBox?

Ron Canazzi

Hi Group,

I downloaded and installed DOS Box on two Windows ten machines a year or so ago. It is supposed to have Vocal-Eyes and/or JAWS For DOS run at start up after installation and going down to the command prompt and typing DOS Box or something similar.  While I did get the speech to run, none of the games including the three I mentioned in an earlier post would run.  Every time I tried running any of the DOS games, the system would hang.  I don't quite understand, but the last version of this DOS Box was supposed to use some aspects of NVDA as the software synthesizer while emulating the DOS environment. This is very technical and I don't quite understand how it works.  You have to create a virtual port of some sort by installing an additional piece of software. I did this, and I did get speech but as I said before, nothing really worked.

On 9/12/2020 6:26 PM, Luke Robinett wrote:
Hi David. Thank you for the response. Unfortunately the command prompt in windows 10 doesn’t provide a complete DOS environment. The last version of windows to support true DOS mode was windows 95, if I’m not mistaken. Some retro gamers get really hardcore and actually put together old PCs with original hardware from the 80s or 90s and then install an older operating system like DOS. I don’t think I want to go quite that far LOL so I was hoping to run one of these emulators to give me the same experience. Unfortunately, I can’t seem to find any that are screen reader compatible. Some guys apparently have luck installing old versions of jaws for DOS within these emulators. I actually hunted down an old version of jaws for DOS and tried installing it within the emulator but I couldn’t get it to work, mostly because I have no idea what’s going on so I’m just typing blindly. I tried to use NVDA’s OCR feature to get a sense of what was happening but I gave up. Maybe I will give it another go later

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"