Re: FileZilla brings NVDA to a grinding halt

Quentin Christensen

Would it be possible to get an NVDA log from when this occurs please?

First of all, your NVDA key is either INSERT or CAPS LOCK, depending on how you have NVDA setup.  So, to set your log level:
1) Press NVDA+control+g to open the general settings
2) Press TAB until the focus is on 'Log level'
3) Press DOWN ARROW to get to 'Debug'
4) Press ENTER to close settings
5) Press NVDA+control+c to save settings.

To restart NVDA with add-ons disabled:
1) Press NVDA+Q
2) Down arrow to 'Restart with add-ons disabled'
3) Press ENTER

Next, recreate the issue - Use Filezilla.

To get NVDA's log after that, there are several ways:

If NVDA is still running and usable:
1) Press NVDA+F1 to open the log viewer
2) Press CONTROL+A to select all.
3) Press CONTROL+C to copy.
4) Open your email and start a message to info@..., type a little about what you have done and what has happened in the body of the message, then leave a space and:
5) Press CONTROL+V to paste the copied log.

Instead of using the log viewer, or if NVDA has stopped and you needed to restart it or the computer:
1) Press WINDOWS+R to open Windows' Run dialog
2) Type %temp% and press ENTER (that's the percent sign, the letter t e m p and another percent sign).  Windows Explorer should open to the temporary folder.
3) Press TAB to move to the file list
4) Press N and move down to find up to three files:  nvda.log (the log file for the current or most recent NVDA session), nvda-old.og (the log from the previous session) and nvda-crash.dmp (a crash dump with more information created if NVDA itself crashes).
5) Depending on what email program you use, the steps will be different, but attach as many of those three files to an email to info@... as will be useful, and again in the body of the message describe a bit about what has happened.

On Sat, Sep 12, 2020 at 12:36 AM Jesse Farquharson <jesse100rules@...> wrote:

Hello folks,

I have been trying to do some large folder transfers from FileZilla to my new machine. I noticed this on the old one, but chopped it up to the laughable specs on it. This new machine however is a complete monster, and while I'm trying to do a FileZilla transfer of 20000+ audio files, NVDA grinds to a complete stop. If I try and move around the FileZilla window, I often have to restart NVDA. Can anyone comment on this?

Thanks.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager