Another option, if you only want to try one thing out quickly and won't use that alpha build again, instead of creating a portable version, from that launcher screen which comes up when you start it (with the license, and the options to install or create portable copy) there is an option called "Continue" - that keeps the temporary copy of NVDA running which starts when this launcher starts - you can try what you need to try, and just be aware that this version won't save any changes to its configuration etc.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Sat, Sep 12, 2020 at 8:05 AM <blindgroupsluke@...> wrote:
Thanks Gene. Yeah, I ended up installing the alpha build as a portable copy
as not to interfere with the main install and that seemed to work fine.
Thanks for the reply. :)

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Thursday, September 10, 2020 9:06 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Running production build and alpha build concurrently?

You can't have more than one copy installed but you can have an installed
copy and a portable version on the same machine.  You can have as many
portable versions as you want and no installed version if you wish.

The portable versions can't do certtain things, and those limitations apply
mostly to Windows 10.  But you may be able to check whatever you intend to
with the portable version.