Re: NVDA support in DOS emulators like DosBox?

Luke Davis

As Shaun Everiss pointed out, you could try DOSEmu for this.
I would probably spin up an EC2 instance, or something at one of the cheap Linode alternatives, install DOSEmu, and see what you could make work.

It's been 10-15 years since I used DOSEmu, but when I did I remember it being pretty good.

The other option I considered for this, would be to install a DOS based virtual machine in Virtualbox or something. I don't know for sure if you can do that, but it might be possible to run a 16 bit OS there.
There were remote access protocols for DOS, that would allow you to use it over a serial port. You could probably use it with a terminal emulator over a virtual comm port.

I'm not sure how responsive NVDA might be in that scenario, but I'll be interested in your results for historical reasons.

I recently had occasion to try to run SSHDOS (SSH for DOS) under Win 10 to support a customer who still uses DOS and SSH, but I could not for the same reasons discussed earlier here.

Luke

Luke Robinett wrote:

Hi Joseph. Right. The DOS box consul is not a text based Consol. It supports DOS applications that run in both text and graphics modes so when it displays
text, it’s actually displaying a graphical representation of text. this is why in my first post I was wondering if an NVDA add-on could be created in python
that would work something like the following:
1. Monitor the dos box Consol for any changes
2. Anytime a change is detected, apply OCR to convert the consul output to text
3. Compare this OCR snapshot to the previous and announce to NVDA whatever changed, such as the display scrolling, a value on the screen changing, etc.
I am brushing up on my python as we speak and I have identified some library’s that deal with taking a screen capture of the active application as well as
OCR. I’m not sure if this exceeds the limitations of what NVDA add-ons are capable of but I figure it’s worth a shot. Plus, it gives me a good project to
learn python, if nothing else.