Re: NVDA support in DOS emulators like DosBox?

Well luke, the issue with a vm, especially a dos one is more physical than not.

1.  yes you can.

You would get as much responce out of dos as you would a basic linux terminal.

But here is the thing.

You don't have a physical serial port or a synth.

Assuming you had both of those, yes you could.

However unless you had something like a soundblaster card or something and its drivers you couldn't really handle sound.

Lets face it, modern pc speakers are utter crap.

There is no need  for a pc speaker if everything is via sound.

Sound cards may have speakers.

I know on some systems they only have emulated pc speakers within the sound chip.

There are systems I have used that don't have a pc speaker at all.

Most if not all systems may have one but you will never hear it unless its got an issue.

But in theory and if you had the right equipment you could.

But most don't have serial synths or the ports to run them so it won't work.

The closest would be some sort of os like linux that handled all this stuff.

On 14/09/2020 8:31 pm, Luke Davis wrote:
As Shaun Everiss pointed out, you could try DOSEmu for this.
I would probably spin up an EC2 instance, or something at one of the cheap Linode alternatives, install DOSEmu, and see what you could make work.

It's been 10-15 years since I used DOSEmu, but when I did I remember it being pretty good.

The other option I considered for this, would be to install a DOS based virtual machine in Virtualbox or something.  I don't know for sure if you can do that, but it might be possible to run a 16 bit OS there.
There were remote access protocols for DOS, that would allow you to use it over a serial port. You could probably use it with a terminal emulator over a virtual comm port.

I'm not sure how responsive NVDA might be in that scenario, but I'll be interested in your results for historical reasons.

I recently had occasion to try to run SSHDOS (SSH for DOS) under Win 10 to support a customer who still uses DOS and SSH, but I could not for the same reasons discussed earlier here.

Luke

Luke  Robinett wrote:

Hi Joseph. Right. The DOS box consul is not a text based Consol. It supports DOS applications that run in both text and graphics modes so when it displays
text, it’s actually displaying a graphical representation of text. this is why in my first post I was wondering if an NVDA add-on could be created in python
that would work something like the following:
1. Monitor the dos box Consol for any changes
2. Anytime a change is detected, apply OCR to convert the consul output to text
3. Compare this OCR snapshot to the previous and announce to NVDA whatever changed, such as the display scrolling, a value on the screen changing, etc.
I am brushing up on my python as we speak and I have identified some library’s that deal with taking a screen capture of the active application as well as
OCR. I’m not sure if this exceeds the limitations of what NVDA add-ons are capable of but I figure it’s worth a shot. Plus, it gives me a good project to
learn python, if nothing else.