Re: NVDA reading names of selected files in a file list

Sarah k Alawami

Actually voiceover can infact do this. I hear the names of the itmes selected and or the number of items selected when I hit a command. So it can in theory be possible.

--

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website.

Check out my adventures with a shadow machine.

to subscribe to the feed click here and you can also follow us on twitter

Our discord is where you will know when we go live on twitch. Feel free to give the channel a follow and see what is up there.

For stream archives, products you can buy and more visit my main lbry page and my tffp lbry page You will also be able to buy some of my products and eBooks there.

Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here

On 17 Sep 2020, at 13:10, Brian Vogel wrote:

On Thu, Sep 17, 2020 at 01:08 PM, Janet Brandly wrote:
I’m disappointed that NVDA cannot do this
-
To my knowledge, no screen reader can do this.  You're talking about a situation where multi-select is in use, and a screen reader can only have focus in one place at one time.

It's not like a collection of file names in File Explorer is a always a chunk of text that's contiguous, though it can be.  But even when it is, what the screen reader has focus on when the selection is complete is the last item selected.

I imagine it would be conceptually possible to write something that would go through the File Explorer file list and read only those things currently selected.  The need for same has been infrequent enough that it hasn't been asked for and if the list of selected items were long it very quickly becomes beyond the human ability to hold information in mind.   In searching GitHub this issue has been under discussion for several years because there is really no "good way" that anyone can figure out for NVDA to handle all the issues involved gracefully.  See:  https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/5005 

I could swear there is a way in NVDA now to read the status bar that tells you how many items are selected in File Explorer.  I need to dig some on that.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041  

A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally.

~ Oscar Wilde

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.