Re: NVDA reading names of selected files in a file list

Sarah k Alawami

Actually voiceover can infact do this. I hear the names of the itmes selected and or the number of items selected when I hit a command. So it can in theory be possible.

On 17 Sep 2020, at 13:10, Brian Vogel wrote:

On Thu, Sep 17, 2020 at 01:08 PM, Janet Brandly wrote:
I’m disappointed that NVDA cannot do this
-
To my knowledge, no screen reader can do this.  You're talking about a situation where multi-select is in use, and a screen reader can only have focus in one place at one time.

It's not like a collection of file names in File Explorer is a always a chunk of text that's contiguous, though it can be.  But even when it is, what the screen reader has focus on when the selection is complete is the last item selected.

I imagine it would be conceptually possible to write something that would go through the File Explorer file list and read only those things currently selected.  The need for same has been infrequent enough that it hasn't been asked for and if the list of selected items were long it very quickly becomes beyond the human ability to hold information in mind.   In searching GitHub this issue has been under discussion for several years because there is really no "good way" that anyone can figure out for NVDA to handle all the issues involved gracefully.  See:  https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/5005

I could swear there is a way in NVDA now to read the status bar that tells you how many items are selected in File Explorer.  I need to dig some on that.

          ~ Oscar Wilde