When auto-language switching fails

I have a question for all you bilingual folks. I'm learning Spanish and entering now my fourth quarter and have moved from beginner to intermediate.
If I use JAWS and when a website, assignment or test doesn't have the correct markup for automatic language switching, I can issue the keystroke Control-Windows-L to have JAWS change the synthesizer language.

But I am not finding any feature in NVDA that does the same thing. I can certainly go to preferences and Speech and make changes there, but I'm often reading things in Spanish with instructions or explanations in English. And I prefer the Braille support NVDA gives me with Spanish. Is there an easier way to switch synthesizer languages on the fly?

I previously used the switch synth add-on before NVDA moved to Python 3. But I removed all my add-ons to make the upgrade easier, and then just installed Braille extender.  Is that switch Synth add-on still the easiest or the only way to do this?
And are my only choices for free Spanish voices the Microsoft and the Espeak Spanish voices?

Thanks for the help.