Re: NVDA Speech delay after Computer is Idle

On Fri, Sep 25, 2020 at 07:16 PM, Gene wrote:
Isn't all memory lost from RAM when power is shut off by the system completely shutting down?
-
Yes.  But, and it's a big but with Windows 10, that's only if Fast Startup is turned OFF, and it is ON by default.  One of the first things I do when setting up systems is to turn Fast Startup OFF.

When Fast Startup is in use, the state of Windows 10 is written out from RAM to disc for reloading when the system is next powered up.  It is an alternative form of hibernation where only the Windows 10 state is saved, but not the user data state, which is also saved in full hibernation.   Some of the most bizarre issues I've ever encountered have occurred when the special hibernation file used by Fast Startup develops corruptions over time, and if a system has an SSD as its operating system disc there is virtually zero difference in boot up time when it's off and it's not a huge gain even when HDDs are in use.

     ~ Kelley Boorn