Re: firefox and waterfox issues.

Hmmm thanks jean, I do have eloquence and if I need to I can use it for that particular site.

I have managed to get round the waterfox crashes to a point.

Turning off container tabs and hardware exeleration has helped a bit.

Now that doesn't take out the crashing but I can get through most of my net blog checks before waterfox crashes.

As long as I open new topics in new tabs in forums, open articles in their own window, and as long as I can start narator, close waterfox and restart nvda then it works.

Its not ideal, but I have got it down to where I am crashing once every 3-10 sites instead of just about every site.

Interestingly, there is a lot of descussion on readit of waterfox about high memmory usage and addon breakage.

The devs can't understand why because all they have updated is security.

Nursing the brouser along as I am, I think I can get it to work for me.

I am not happy about it of course but at least I should be able to continue to work as long as I do all my web stuff first, then all my cloud stuff, then all my email stuff, then all my update stuff, then all my blog stuff and reboot each time it gets to unstable.

So far it hasn't got that bad but still.

On 26/09/2020 9:37 pm, Gene wrote:
I've only tried Via Voice, which I believe, does more or less what you want. Eloquence should as well.  Many others may.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Shaun Everiss
Sent: Saturday, September 26, 2020 3:24 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] firefox and waterfox issues.

Hmmm what synth do you suggest I try.

I do like espeak for what it is.

Technically I guess I could add a dictionary entry, but I really want to
add a context sensitive one.

If you try different synthesizers, you may find something more or less like what you are looking for.

Sent: Saturday, September 26, 2020 2:50 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Hi jean, what I really want is for something to read the prices with the
points in even if they use the coma, but I suppose thats not an option.

I know in math some write with coma instead of the standard full stop
for a decimal to denote large numbers.

The issue is not how its written but that nvda doesn't recognise this in
the way its handled as anything bar a coma in this case its actually a
decimal.

On 26/09/2020 6:43 pm, Gene wrote:
I don't know what accounts for the difference in how it is read.  but you may be able to work around the problem by setting punctuation to all. then you will have the annoyance of hearing all sorts of punctuation but it may be preferable to hearing numbers misread.

Or you can change the reading of commas to the most or some level.  That way, you will hear them spoken without hearing a lot of other punctuation.

Sent: Saturday, September 26, 2020 1:09 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

ok, in firefox, something which is say 140 dollars and 21 cents is
140.21

This is fine, in some places on the net they use the coma and not the
full stop char.

now 140,21 in waterfox/firefox is read out as you would expect.

in chrome its 14021.

So I have often found things costing 500000 or something rediculous when
they can be 50.00 or 500.00.

This seems to be a bit of an issue.

Now granted its only 1 site, but its a site I use a lot.

I am not sure if there is a plugin to treat in certain cases the coma
being used as a deciman point where numbers are concerned being
converted to a point.

Of course it goes without saying that this is only on displayed items.

When you buy one its converted normally, go figure.

Its my only gripe with chromium brousers.

To be honest, what I may have to do, is run each group of sites in its
own session, followed by forums that have trouble in a multitabbed
environment.

Thats fine but to be honest, even if this doesn't work, I have had to
turn off hardware exceleration, and autoupdates just to get things not
to crash.

If things continue to crash, I will try turning off image auto load and
finally javascript but its getting to the point that I may have to
abandon the entire mozilla family.

I'd really like a brouser I can use with a no frill interface.

That is, something that just brouses, has things like ublock, secured
https, maybe a privacy manager and sound, or if I can't have that,
something like internet explorer but not be internet explorer.

I do like youtube videos so it would need to process some of these
streaming things but heck, if I had a simple brouser to brouse the net
and something else for other things, I am willing to take it.

I don't understand your point about how dollar amountsare read.  They are read as I expect and the way differs when I use different symthesizers. Via Voice reads them correctly.  E-Speak reads them incorrectly whatever browser I use.

Sent: Saturday, September 26, 2020 12:37 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Hmph.

Well, I am really close to swearing now reading what you just told me.

I have done a little more, adding waterfox to ccleaner and turning off
hardware exceleration.

I have also turned off container tabs and autoupdates but at this point
I am pritty close to bailing.

As for google, my issue is, well go to www.pbtech.co.nz and look at how
the prices for things are set.

Look how chromium based brousers say them, look at how waterfox/ firefox
say them.

Now you will understand why I don't care about leaving waterfox or whatever.

Is there such a thing as a brouser with a classic interface I can use or
do I have to soldier on with what I have.

I can do it, I guess but really its really bad.

I could refresh my profile but back a couple versions ago and I just
tried things do spike but not like this.

This is not the medium I really want.

On 26/09/2020 4:17 pm, Hareth wrote:
Same here, Firefox went to the worse it could get.
opening a facebook page became a crash nightmare with it.
About the chrome navigating history entries, Man if that's not one of
the biggest NVDA and crome accessibility shortcomings.
I have to quit NVDA, start JAWS, open the jaws find feature and put
"yes" for yesterday ETC, in the edit field and it finds the entries
there pretty well.
I couldn't make NVDA do the same .
On 9/26/20, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

Of course, it may be something else. I don't have the technical knowledge
to do more than guess.

Aside from that, I don't see anything cluttered about the Chrome interface.

Browsing is browsing when you are using Browse mode or the Virtual PC
Cursor, different names for the same thing.  The interface is different but

the only place where I find that an annoyance is when working with history.

and I still haven't found a way to go back more than about a day in Chrome
history.  I wonder if there is some sort of inaccessible scroll icon.