Inserting a brief pause, intentionally

The question yesterday regarding the reading of phone numbers as digits got me thinking about how I actually do that when reading one off to a person.

I tend to cluster the digit strings for area code, exchange, and then the last four.  So I'd say something like 8 1 4 {pause}  5 3 6 {pause} 2 2 5 0.  But I have no idea if there is actually a way to indicate a brief pause in a replacement string when you pass it to the synthesizer.

Can this be done and, if so, how?

     ~ Kelley Boorn