Re: Introducing the Quick Dictionary add-on #addonrelease

Oleksandr Gryshchenko

Hi Ibrahim, Soloman, Gary, William and everyone who reads this message :)
Friends, I didn't take into account one detail, namely that the keyboard shortcut NVDA + D is already used in NVDA...
I'll see what a handy keyboard shortcut we can use and change it nearest time.

Ibrahim Abedrabbo wrote:
> Which languages does this dictionary cover? Is it only English-English, or English to other languages?
The online dictionary used in this add-on supports only about 27 languages. Coverage depends on the specific language selected.
For example, about 20 translation languages are available for English, but only one for Chinese...
A full list of supported language combinations I will provide at the end of this message.

Soloman wrote:
> Is there any chance of you getting it to work offline in future version?
This add-on simply sends requests to the remote server and with NVDA announces the result. Of course, we can modify the add-on so that it will works with the dictionary installed on your computer.
I'm going to look for available dictionary databases that could be installed locally and used in the add-on.

Gary Metzler wrote:
> I am having a problem trying to register the add on. I get the email with the code and I enter it but, when I go to next nothing happens.  Is there a step that I am missing?  Thanks for any help.
Gary, you don't need to immediately register your own remote dictionary access token to try the add-on.
When you install the add-on, it already has a previously registered access token and you can use it immediately. Until there are not many users of the add-on - this code will be available.
I will try to register another access token and see what problems may arise during the registration process.

William Wong wrote:
> Well, why not using request module  to send request to check dict meaning from some popular website?
William, I agree that it can be done this way. By the way, this add-on also uses the urllib.request module.
But it seems to me that using the API is much more convenient and reliable than parsing a web page.
Unfortunately it is really quite difficult to find quality API services with large free quotas.
For example, the following online dictionary service allows to perform only 300 queries per day [https://www.lexicala.com/k-dictionaries]...

List of language combinations available in the remote dictionary service:
    "be-be",
    "be-ru",