Re: running beta of nvda

Tyler Spivey

Maybe the solution here is to open issues for every single error we hear
that isn't a duplicate of something else, since these are obviously
important enough to get the user's attention.

You (and others who are part of the project) don't seem to understand
that the sound is useless to most of us.
It comes up so often that it's just background noise. Let's take some
simple examples:

1. Restart with add-ons disabled, press control NVDA v, tab twice, hit
escape, press control NVDA s to switch synth then hit enter.
You'll most likely get:
RuntimeError: wrapped C/C++ object of type BoxSizer has been deleted

Does this matter to anyone? Probably not, since it's been there for a while.

Next one. Switch to a synth which is an addon, then restart with add-ons
disabled. You hear the startup sound, then the error sound.
When you look, you find out that it's just NVDA not being able to load
the synth, because addons are disabled, which is a completely expected
case. But this shouldn't produce the sound.

There are others, which come up when doing seemingly simple tasks. Alt
tabbing just now is a perfect example of something I would not expect to
fail:
Could not register for UIA events for element
Why is that important? If it can't register because of a COM Error, it
should do something else, or tell you if you debug.

Alt tabbing again, we get another error sound, this time for an
unreachable wave player.

On 9/28/2020 11:32 AM, Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi,

This behavior is intentional – beta is not really a stable build yet, so
NVDA developers are interested in fixing major errors if possible, hence
the debug tone.

Cheers,

Joseph