From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tyler Spivey
Sent: Monday, September 28, 2020 12:09 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] running beta of nvda

Maybe the solution here is to open issues for every single error we hear that isn't a duplicate of something else, since these are obviously important enough to get the user's attention.

You (and others who are part of the project) don't seem to understand that the sound is useless to most of us.
It comes up so often that it's just background noise. Let's take some simple examples:

1. Restart with add-ons disabled, press control NVDA v, tab twice, hit escape, press control NVDA s to switch synth then hit enter.
You'll most likely get:
RuntimeError: wrapped C/C++ object of type BoxSizer has been deleted

Does this matter to anyone? Probably not, since it's been there for a while.

Next one. Switch to a synth which is an addon, then restart with add-ons disabled. You hear the startup sound, then the error sound.
When you look, you find out that it's just NVDA not being able to load the synth, because addons are disabled, which is a completely expected case. But this shouldn't produce the sound.

There are others, which come up when doing seemingly simple tasks. Alt tabbing just now is a perfect example of something I would not expect to
fail:
Could not register for UIA events for element Why is that important? If it can't register because of a COM Error, it should do something else, or tell you if you debug.

Alt tabbing again, we get another error sound, this time for an unreachable wave player.

On 9/28/2020 11:32 AM, Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi,

This behavior is intentional – beta is not really a stable build yet,
so NVDA developers are interested in fixing major errors if possible,
hence the debug tone.

Cheers,

Joseph