Re: Backup files with NVDA

Tony Ballou

howdy folks,

Sorry about the length of this post, but I think the information will be helpful to most of you out here.

Most times using copying and pasting files through either this PC or file explorer is the easiest way to backup files and for the most part it works without a hitch.

However, There are those situations where sometimes files won’t copy because for a reason totally unbeknownst to me you will get a destination path too long message and you’ll have to reduce the file name, even though windows allows you to copy files well beyond the old 8.3 format and extension conventions. There’s  also the cannot read from source disc error and the cannot write to disc error. Those errors can mean that your hard drive may be in some trouble.

To avoid problems like these, you can download a free file copying utility called unstoppable copier. It’s up to version 5.2, works on all windows systems, and is totally accessible with NVDA. The copying process is slower than using the  basic copying and pasting methods through this PC and file explorer, however, the advantage of using this utility is that it not only copies the file, it also scans and removes anything that would cause the file to become truncated or corrupt. It also can Recover files from disks with physical damage. Allows you to copy files from disks with problems such as bad sectors, scratches or that just give errors when reading data. The program will attempt to recover every readable piece of a file and put the pieces together. Using this method most types of files can be made usable even if some parts were not recoverable in the end. To get this utility go to

http://www.roadkil.net/

I was able to completely repair and successfully reformat 2 external hard drives using this program. Hope this helps some of you folks out there and sorry about the length.

Tony