Re: messages aren't read out automatically in the mail app

Hi,

Yes, you can get it from community add-ons website (addons.nvda-project.org).

As for what Windows 10 App Essentials can do (speaking as the author of this add-on): too many to list. But just to give you a highlight of its power:

  • Early access to upcoming Windows 10 features through accessibility enhancements.
  • Early access to solutions to Windows 10 issues noted by NVDA users while it is being developed.
  • Detecting more Windows 10 controls.
  • Announcing search suggestion count in Settings, Microsoft Store, and other search fields where NVDA does not announce first search result automatically.
  • Announcing product download status in Microsoft Store.
  • Browse mode while reading emails with Windows 10 Mail.
  • Support for modern search field in File Explorer.
  • Support for emoji panel and other modern input features on top of what NVDA already provides.
  • Improved support for Settings app on top of what NVDA provides.
  • Assisting in debugging events coming from Windows 10 apps and controls.

In the past, the add-on used to provide the following which are now part of NVDA or became unnecessary in recent releases:

  • Initial and more complete support for emoji panel and other modern input features, now part of NVDA.
  • Initial support for Chromium Edge (early 2020), now part of NVDA.
  • Fixing bugs which are now part of NVDA such as reducing verbosity when performing certain commands in recent Microsoft 365 releases.
  • Playing search suggestion sounds, now part of NVDA.
  • Detecting dialog boxes scattered around Windows 10, now part of NVDA.
  • One of the first add-ons to adopt add-on update feature, now part of Add-on Updater add-on.

The add-on isn’t as powerful as say, StationPlaylist or NVDA Remote, but it is considered influential.

Cheers,

Joseph