locked Re: TOR Browser Accessibility with NVDA

Carlos Medrano

Imo, it's probably easier to learn Linux from a command line perspective over a remote protocol like SSH through Windows, instead of installing Gnome and Orca. Linux is usable for blind people, but you have to get used to doing things like ctrl+alt+f3, blindly typing root and the password, and executing a command to force kill Xorg when Orca breaks the shell. It's also possible to have the best of both worlds with Windows as a VM, similar to my setup.

On 10/11/2020 9:29 PM, tim wrote:
Hmm, Sounds like college days to me. Learning the op, screen reader, and the software for 5 classes a week. Just think the fun hasn't stopped yet. you never stop learning with computers.

On 10/11/2020 8:36 PM, Ian Blackburn wrote:
Hi Linux can be used by totally blind people using Orca screen reader under gnome desktop. I have not been able to work out Linux though because there are no effective audio tutorials for Linux gnome desktop like ones for say JAWS for windows or ?NVDA training modules. The problem is the cognitive load for someone who has to work out how to use the operating system at the same time as learning how to use the screen reader. It is a bit of a chicken and egg thing. You can’t learn how to use the operating system without some basic knowledge of the screen reader.

A person needs step by step ways to manage files and look on the internet so they can read the help documents or play the podcasts they want to listen to in order to get more than the basics out of the computer. I did teach myself Mac OSX and although not an expert can use the Mac for various tasks.

Regards
Ian

On 12/10/2020 8:06 am, mk360 wrote:

What? If Linux exists? Microsoft Azure has many Linux systems, windows 10 has WSL to enshure Linux compatibility, Android is based in Linux, ant these are only a feu examples.

Ok, probably we never have Linux on the desktop, but many, too many systems are based in linux, If you connect to internet probably you are interacting with a Linux system.

Regards,,

mk.

El 11/10/2020 a las 19:16, Arlene escribió:

Hi Wolfwam, Does Linux still exist? I guess very few people use it? I’ve never heard of it until a friend of a friend tried to install it on her old computer.