Re: my friend's problem is solved for now

Rosemarie Chavarria

Oh that was funny!

On 10/17/2020 10:25 AM, Gene wrote:
And that's not a computer virus so at least the computer doesn't have that. (grin)

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Rosemarie Chavarria
Sent: Saturday, October 17, 2020 11:19 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] my friend's problem is solved for now

You're right. I guess my friend thought this guy would do a great job
fixing her computer. She and her husband don't live close to a place
like Best Buys. They have to drive clear out of town to a place like
that. She knows one other person who might be able to fix her computer
but he doesn't want to go to her house because of the Corona virus.

On 10/17/2020 9:15 AM, Chris Smart wrote:
I hate to say you sometimes get what you pay for...

That said, good help is hard to find.

I'm lucky in that I found a local independent computer repairer and recycler who have been in business for a long time. So far, they've been friendly, knowledgeable, and quite fair on pricing.

Chris

On 2020-10-17 12:10 p.m., Rosemarie Chavarria wrote:
Hi, Gene,

The techie that took my friend's computer to supposedly fix it did it out of his ownhome. He kept it for over a year and when my friend tried to call him to ask about the computer, he never returned her calls. I've heard of dishonesty but this takes the cake! Now she's having trouble with it again. She has to redownload NVDA so I think there's something wrong with the computer itself.

Rosemarie

On 10/17/2020 6:26 AM, Gene wrote:
And repair places often update programs that shouldn't be updated because the new versions aren't accessible.  If a machine is taken into a repair place, perhaps an agreement, perhaps in writing, should be made that no changes, except those necessary to repair, including disinfect, a computer will be made without the approval of the owner.

I have no idea if repair places will accept such agreements but I pose the topic for discussion.

Gene

-----Original Message----- From: Leslie
Sent: Friday, October 16, 2020 10:45 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

One time I took my computer to Geek Squad and they messed one of my computers up royally too.  My computer went through two other parties before it was fixed.  That computer spent its entire life with me and I got another computer and some left over voices were loaded onto a brand new computer.  I just removed them recently. Repair places can really mess up computers when they don’t understand screen reader software.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10