Re: my friend's problem is solved for now

Orlando Enrique Fiol

At 01:44 PM 10/17/2020, Rosemarie Chavarria wrote:
She'll have to use narrator but she doesn't know how to check for drive
damage.
There's no nice way to say this; she needs to learn. Checking for hard drive corruption is easy and accessible, either through thee Tools tab under her hard drive's properties, or using the command "choked /f C:," where C: is the letter of the drive to be checked. The slash+F switch tells Windows to fix any scandisk errors it finds.
She can use the Optimize Drive option on her drive's properties, which will check and defragment her disk.

No one would get behind a steering wheel without knowing how to use the brakes. No one would try to use a microwave for the first time without becoming acquainted with the panel layout and each button's function. Yet, too many people, especially we "blindies," refuse to learn enough about computers to keep them working and resolve urgent problems, preferring to leave all these matters in the hands of often unscrupulous technicians who may overcharge, keep computers longer than necessary or live too far away to be practical.
All these circumstances demonstrate our need to become acquainted with everything software-related that is accessible to use. Simply saying we don't know how doesn't cut it anymore. we need to learn.

As an example, for years, I've been dissatisfied with my laptop's internal speakers, which I use exclusively for speech. The sub woofer never seemed to work, or only worked intermittently. The wonderful application Equalizer APO helped somewhat in this regard, but not enough. I un installed and reinstalled the Realtek drivers, trying out different official and unofficial versions, some of which worked better than others.

I learned the registry syntaxes of the Realtek and Nahimic keys,, but editing the values seemed to do little good.
Finally, I learned about MN Devices, a section of the Windows registry where the properties for each hardware device are laid out in great detail. There, I found my Realtek devices:: speakers, headphones, mic,digital out, etc. Under the Rendering category, I looked for any values between 100 and 500, since I needed to change the cutoff frequency to reengage the missing subwoofer. There are three such settings. Once, I changed them to a value of 50 hz, everything worked as I always wanted.
Would the average tech have taken time, even for a fee, to hunt down this solution? Probably not.
Orlando Enrique Fiol
Charlotte, North Carolina
Ph.D. in Music theory
University of Pennsylvania: November, 2018