Re: NVDA With Task Manager

Quentin Christensen

I might have missed something here, but shouldn't the screen saver only come on after there is no activity on the PC for awhile?  I know we had an issue at one time where if you were reading a particularly long piece of text (which took longer to read than the timeout for the screensaver) it would stop reading when the screensaver starter.  I think we actually resolved that one, but that's about the only instance I can think of where the screensaver should cause a problem?

The only other "screensaver" type thing which can be problematic, is there are a few "distributed computing" programs around now like BOINC and Folding @ Home and others.  They use your computer's idle time (when the processor isn't busy doing anything else) to compute various things from finding cures for cancer (or Covid_19), to searching for alien life and anything else you can think of which would take a lot of computing power.  Sometimes those programs will keep trying to use processing power even when you are using the PC, and this can cause significant degradation of performance with screenreaders (and even in general without using a screenreader).

Otherwise, I'd be interested to learn more about the screenreader causing problems.

Quentin.

On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 1:11 AM Chris Smart <ve3rwj@...> wrote:
I just got an error trying that at the Windows 10 CLI:

"set invalid alias verb"

Please advise.

Chris

On 2020-10-19 4:55 a.m., Martin O'Sullivan wrote:
> Well I have managed to resolve the problem.
>
> I used the following command to give NVDA a Realtime priority on the system.
>
> wmic process where name="nvda.exe" CALL set priority 256
>
> NVDA is working faster than it ever did.
>
> The reason I was using task manager is that NVDA was slow.
>
> I also found out why NVDA was slow.  Looks like my company is running some sort of data processing screen saver in the background (World Community Grid) which is working on testing for bloody covid.  So, I am giving NVDA higher priority than a deadly virus.
>
>
>
>
>
>

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.