Re: NVDA With Task Manager

Yes that is what I thought to.
A lot of these things should only process data while idol.
Of course, if the company in question is having this on their servers
it may simply be set to do whatever it does whenever something is
idol.
That could mean that when you run nvda it may actually take time to
stop whatever then go back.
Of course, having used nvda with some extensive opperations from time
to time, you really don't need to do much to break nvda completely or
slow it down such that its broken unless you reboot.
Excluding waterfox, I have had this happen with some of my recording
programs and with some converters and the like.
Most of the time things come back after a bit or after the app is done
but sometimes depending where all the automated whatevers are at and
so on, I have had situations where things have screwed over and I have
had to reboot but who knows.
Of course if this thing is configured to run taking any idol data asnd
assuming its installed on all the systems it actually may be
monitoring for any idol time available.
This is only a guess, so that being the case I doubt the system can
differentiate exactly what that means.
Nvda to be honest doesn't use that much power generally, I mean it
could run at a stretch on singlecore systems, so depending on addons
and synth used, nvda really doesn't need that much cpu power at all.
As for it being an app, its almost an old style tsr as supposed to an
active thing sitting in systray.
So maybe the saver doesn't reguard it as an active process, and in
some ways it would be right.
Nvda really doesn't process much data by itself all the time if at all.
However it is effected by everything else around it.
Its one of the querks.
Its like the enhanced soundcard issues.
Those enhancements are to hide the small speaker issues with laptops.
They work well with speech in movies and music but tts just aint long
enough a loop to process correctly.

I might have missed something here, but shouldn't the screen saver only
come on after there is no activity on the PC for awhile? I know we had an
issue at one time where if you were reading a particularly long piece of
text (which took longer to read than the timeout for the screensaver) it
would stop reading when the screensaver starter. I think we actually
resolved that one, but that's about the only instance I can think of where
the screensaver should cause a problem?

The only other "screensaver" type thing which can be problematic, is there
are a few "distributed computing" programs around now like BOINC and
Folding @ Home and others. They use your computer's idle time (when the
processor isn't busy doing anything else) to compute various things from
finding cures for cancer (or Covid_19), to searching for alien life and
anything else you can think of which would take a lot of computing power.
Sometimes those programs will keep trying to use processing power even when
you are using the PC, and this can cause significant degradation of
performance with screenreaders (and even in general without using a
screenreader).

Otherwise, I'd be interested to learn more about the screenreader causing
problems.

Quentin.

On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 1:11 AM Chris Smart <ve3rwj@...> wrote:

I just got an error trying that at the Windows 10 CLI:

"set invalid alias verb"

Please advise.

Chris

On 2020-10-19 4:55 a.m., Martin O'Sullivan wrote:
Well I have managed to resolve the problem.

I used the following command to give NVDA a Realtime priority on the
system.

wmic process where name="nvda.exe" CALL set priority 256

NVDA is working faster than it ever did.

The reason I was using task manager is that NVDA was slow.

I also found out why NVDA was slow. Looks like my company is running
some sort of data processing screen saver in the background (World
Community Grid) which is working on testing for bloody covid. So, I am
giving NVDA higher priority than a deadly virus.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Web: www.nvaccess.org