Re: web sites detecting a screen reader

Gene

I haven't found any way to turn off speech in live regions. It is important to be able to control this behavior.

Also, there is no reason figure and out of figure should be announced. It is formatting information that is of no use or interest to the general user. It should be off by default as should bloc quotes and perhaps other information. I have found no way to turn off notification of figures.

From: Jonathan COHN via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, October 21, 2020 1:27 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] web sites detecting a screen reader

I have only come across this once or twice. In that case, the site was not recognizing the Screen Reader, but a javascript plugin for the site kept updating a lie region to say something like "for better screen reader response use our plugin. So I turned on the plugin, and the noises went away, but the site was pretty horrible to use after that.
JAWS and VoiceOVer have ways to ignore live region updates on noisy pages, so I expect that NVDA does too.
One other possibility... Could one block a specific JS package on a site? Or of course, you could tell your browser to not allow JS and that would prevent this extra mess.