Re: nvda and ham calls

Sarah k Alawami

I can't remember the laptop keys, can someone remind me again? I'm actually not near my windows machine right now. Lol! Sorry all. I'll have to practice this before Tuesday. Lol! I think I tried nvda left and right when focused on a call and got blank blank blank as well. But I was trying to rush through and was trying to only use one hand, which is why I asked about a ham calls add on so I could only use one hand while the other holds a radio.

I don't expect any results by Tuesday but I do want to put the bee in someone's bonnet in that regard.

Blessings.

On 22 Oct 2020, at 13:05, Chris Smart wrote:

Hey Sara, you'll only get "blank" when you are trying to read the callsign you just entered.

In that case, hit Numpad 4, then a few quick taps of Numpad 5. I'm using a PC keyboard, so you'll have to change those to their Laptop equivalents.

when simply arrowing up and down through a pre-existing list of check-ins, Numpad 5 works every time here.

On 2020-10-22 4:00 p.m., Sarah k Alawami wrote:

I can't do that. I use an app called "netlogger." and using what ever that would be in laptop keys yields "blank blank blank" even though I typed in the stuff. So that won't work. You can find out more about netlogger here. and it's free so feel free to download and see what I mean.

On 22 Oct 2020, at 11:57, Ron Canazzi wrote:

Hi Sara,

Using JAWS, there was a setting to 'spell alpha numeric expressions.'  NVDA does  not have this option. What I do when running nets is to highlight the callsign and then use the keypad 5 key to read the callsign and if I can't tell what the call is initially, I double punch the 5 key to have the expression spelled alpha numerically as in alpha alpha 2 victor Mike.

On 10/22/2020 1:26 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

Hello to all. For those that don't know, I'm an amateur radio operator, and in a week I'm due to run a net. Fine, except I struggle with reading ham calls. I know on the BNS there was a ham calls option where it would read those such as ke7zum. Is there such a thing for nvda? Or can an option be thought of, an add on that could be turned on and off at will to allow for such? I know this won't happen by the 27th when I'm due to control, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like this.

I'm using the ibm tts voices but espeak and david does this as well. I can't code or I would find a way to do this myself.

The thing that makes this harder is not all call signs are 2 by 3 like mine. Some are a 1 by 1, or a 1 by 2. I've even seen some 2 by 2 calls.

Thanks all.

They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"