Re: web sites detecting a screen reader

Luke Robinett <blindgroupsluke@...>

It’s true that there may be multiple ways developers use to hide or show content to screen reader users, but the most widely accepted method is to use media queries in your style sheets. The details of this are well beyond the scope of this discussion but basically you can tell the browser to display things differently based on whether it’s a screen, a printer, a screen reader or some other output device. So theoretically I could write one style sheet for a typical computer display and an entirely different style sheet if the page is being consumed by a screen reader

On Oct 22, 2020, at 12:42 PM, Gene <gsasner@gmail.com> wrote:

Isn't whether NVDA allows a flag to be used a universal setting that occurs on loading the screen-reader? I'm not sure if it can be implemented in one application.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Luke Robinett
Sent: Thursday, October 22, 2020 2:10 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] web sites detecting a screen reader

It’s all about personal preference. I don’t use those navigation links either but some might. The best solution is to create different NVDA configuration profiles and then switch between them as needed, based on particular sites. Currently we can only configure profiles to automatically load based on applications, not websites. It would be cool if this automatic functionality could eventually be extended to websites.

On Oct 22, 2020, at 11:10 AM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@gmail.com> wrote:

Hope,

As the old sayings go, "Different strokes for different folks," and, "Each according to his or her own taste."

That being said, I agree with Mr. Robinett that anyone needs to think long and hard before setting a flag on your screen reader to ignore accessibility-focused features in websites. It often ends up being a "throwing the baby out with the bathwater" sort of affair.

~ Kelley Boorn