Re: nvda and ham calls

Sarah k Alawami

It does not. You type in the sign and hit enter. If I need to edit a call, good luck, as that part is hard to do so I'd better get it right.

To read the calls, I up and down arrow but I cannot move left and right to read the characters and hitting nvda left and right yields blank blank blank. In fact object mode yields nothing at least in the net logger window.

On 22 Oct 2020, at 14:19, Ron Canazzi wrote:

Hi Sara,

Does this net logger have an edit field for each item?  If so, then either try using screen review or object navigation. I used to use an old ham database program years ago and using NVDA, if you moved to the edit field and then switched to object navigation, highlighted the callsign and then used the 5 key you could usually get it to work. If not try using screen review--a bit clumsy, but it may also work.

On 10/22/2020 4:00 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

I can't do that. I use an app called "netlogger." and using what ever that would be in laptop keys yields "blank blank blank" even though I typed in the stuff. So that won't work. You can find out more about netlogger here. and it's free so feel free to download and see what I mean.

On 22 Oct 2020, at 11:57, Ron Canazzi wrote:

Hi Sara,

Using JAWS, there was a setting to 'spell alpha numeric expressions.'  NVDA does  not have this option. What I do when running nets is to highlight the callsign and then use the keypad 5 key to read the callsign and if I can't tell what the call is initially, I double punch the 5 key to have the expression spelled alpha numerically as in alpha alpha 2 victor Mike.

On 10/22/2020 1:26 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

Hello to all. For those that don't know, I'm an amateur radio operator, and in a week I'm due to run a net. Fine, except I struggle with reading ham calls. I know on the BNS there was a ham calls option where it would read those such as ke7zum. Is there such a thing for nvda? Or can an option be thought of, an add on that could be turned on and off at will to allow for such? I know this won't happen by the 27th when I'm due to control, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like this.

I'm using the ibm tts voices but espeak and david does this as well. I can't code or I would find a way to do this myself.

The thing that makes this harder is not all call signs are 2 by 3 like mine. Some are a 1 by 1, or a 1 by 2. I've even seen some 2 by 2 calls.

Thanks all.

They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"