Re: nvda and ham calls

Sarah k Alawami

Well regardless, can a special expression be written to take these? With so many variations, I'm guessing the answer is no. I am not a coder, but again I'll play with this during tomorrow digital net and see.

Blessings to all and thanks everyone, I mean it. Thanks. Hopefully a solution like the bns can be come up with but in the interim, at least I can do something.

On 23 Oct 2020, at 7:23, Roger Stewart wrote:

A one by one call sounds like it was probably a special event call.

Roger

On 10/23/2020 9:15 AM, Steve Matzura wrote:

Just so happens I'm NCS for tomorrow's BHDN, so you can ride along and watch once I get the net log opened, which I'll do at about 9:45 Eastern Time. I use NVDA with Net Logger because it's the only thing that works correctly with it. It doesn't matter whether you type the callsign in upper- or lower-case. It can definitely be done one-handed.

In your message (see below) you said you've encountered a one-by-one call. Wow, that must've been a very special vanity call. I have never heard of a one by one ham call in over fifty years of hamming, but there's always something new goin' on somewhere. LOL.

On 10/23/2020 9:25 AM, Chris Smart wrote:

Many of us are not having the problems you describe with Netlogger. and using Notepad is about as simple as it gets.

If the computer is problematic, are you a competant Braille reader and writer?

On 2020-10-23 1:31 a.m., Sarah k Alawami wrote:

Like I said, this program does not have edit fields per-say. Even in notepad I can't read the calls correctly, and remember I'm using 1 hand. I even tried all caps and that idea failed last Tuesday when I was logging for someone. Again, if you want more info go to their website.

I can try this Saturday when I practice logging for the Saturday morning digital net, that is, if I'm alert enough to practice. By the way you do have to be a ham to dl the software, so can the hams please help? I really don't want to find another piece of software as let's say my computer reboots, I can have someone take over while I get up and running, so long as they have the pw to log.

Blessings all, I'm off to bed. I have a 3 hour training to do tomorrow.

On 22 Oct 2020, at 21:50, Ron Canazzi wrote:

Hi Sara,

Try one more thing and if it doesn't work, then find another program. Once in a while, when all else fails, highlight the whole edit field and then (laptop equivalent) press the read line keystroke twice quickly. With desktop, that is insert + up arrow.

On 10/22/2020 9:41 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

It does not. You type in the sign and hit enter. If I need to edit a call, good luck, as that part is hard to do so I'd better get it right.

To read the calls, I up and down arrow but I cannot move left and right to read the characters and hitting nvda left and right yields blank blank blank. In fact object mode yields nothing at least in the net logger window.

On 22 Oct 2020, at 14:19, Ron Canazzi wrote:

Hi Sara,

Does this net logger have an edit field for each item?  If so, then either try using screen review or object navigation. I used to use an old ham database program years ago and using NVDA, if you moved to the edit field and then switched to object navigation, highlighted the callsign and then used the 5 key you could usually get it to work. If not try using screen review--a bit clumsy, but it may also work.

On 10/22/2020 4:00 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

I can't do that. I use an app called "netlogger." and using what ever that would be in laptop keys yields "blank blank blank" even though I typed in the stuff. So that won't work. You can find out more about netlogger here. and it's free so feel free to download and see what I mean.

On 22 Oct 2020, at 11:57, Ron Canazzi wrote:

Hi Sara,

Using JAWS, there was a setting to 'spell alpha numeric expressions.'  NVDA does  not have this option. What I do when running nets is to highlight the callsign and then use the keypad 5 key to read the callsign and if I can't tell what the call is initially, I double punch the 5 key to have the expression spelled alpha numerically as in alpha alpha 2 victor Mike.

On 10/22/2020 1:26 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

Hello to all. For those that don't know, I'm an amateur radio operator, and in a week I'm due to run a net. Fine, except I struggle with reading ham calls. I know on the BNS there was a ham calls option where it would read those such as ke7zum. Is there such a thing for nvda? Or can an option be thought of, an add on that could be turned on and off at will to allow for such? I know this won't happen by the 27th when I'm due to control, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like this.

I'm using the ibm tts voices but espeak and david does this as well. I can't code or I would find a way to do this myself.

The thing that makes this harder is not all call signs are 2 by 3 like mine. Some are a 1 by 1, or a 1 by 2. I've even seen some 2 by 2 calls.

Thanks all.