Re: nvda and ham calls

Sarah k Alawami

Well hot dog! So we did get the reading and spelling of calls to wrk, I can't wait to try this on Tuesday. I was practicing a bit today to see if I could keep up, but this should work. Still, an add on would be nice, but for now I can I think work with what i have. We have a blind hams discord, email me off list for more info. For now though I will just keep practicing.

On 23 Oct 2020, at 13:39, tim wrote:

Try selecting the column and in formatting pick fit to width.

On 10/23/2020 3:40 PM, Howard Traxler wrote:

Ron, when I did use Excel, as a "net conntrol station", I only used the first four columns:  callsign, name, XYL Name, city; for any more, I didn't figure out how to make the cells wide enough to not truncate.  If I xcould get my Alva display to work again, I'd go back to Excel.  Any suggestions about column width?

Thanks.
Howard other

On 10/23/2020 1:57 PM, Ron Canazzi wrote:

Hi Group,

I did download and install Net Logger. I can confirm the issues that Sara is having. Some people say they are not having the issues.  Is there any kind of set up that will make use with a screen reader work better?

I was able to enter data wit some clumsiness and safe it in stand alone mode.  The file is saved in log format and by default that format opens in Notepad Plus Plus on my system. Interestingly enough, when I viewed it in Notepad Plus Plus, everything showed up as it should -with delimiters using the vertical bar symbol. Using Net Logger itself, I could not get what I wrote to read in any other manner other than using tab and shift tab or after data had been enter I use left/right arrow keys to move from columns that already contained data and the information would read, but there was no way of reading the information--in particular--callsigns alpha-numerically.

Actually, if you use Microsoft Excel and set up a spreadsheet in data format, you get better results. NVDA reads all the columns if column header mode is turned on and you can edit and enter data easily. This takes some ability to design database/spreadsheets, but for a simple thing like a callsign entry system, where formulas are not required nor any fancy accounting knowledge, this isn't really that hard.

On 10/23/2020 1:31 AM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

Like I said, this program does not have edit fields per-say. Even in notepad I can't read the calls correctly, and remember I'm using 1 hand. I even tried all caps and that idea failed last Tuesday when I was logging for someone. Again, if you want more info go to their website. http://netlogger.org

I can try this Saturday when I practice logging for the Saturday morning digital net, that is, if I'm alert enough to practice. By the way you do have to be a ham to dl the software, so can the hams please help? I really don't want to find another piece of software as let's say my computer reboots, I can have someone take over while I get up and running, so long as they have the pw to log.

Blessings all, I'm off to bed. I have a 3 hour training to do tomorrow.

--

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website. http://www.tffppodcast.com

Check out my adventures with a shadow machine. http://tffppodcast.com/shadow

Our discord http://discord.tffppodcast.com is where you will know when we go live on twitch. http://twitch.tv/ke7zum Feel free to give the channel a follow and see what is up there.

For stream archives, products you can buy and more visit my main lbry page http://lbry.tv/@ke7zum and my tffp lbry page http://lbry.tv/@tffp You will also be able to buy some of my products and eBooks there.

Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here Http://patreon.com/tffppodcast

On 22 Oct 2020, at 21:50, Ron Canazzi wrote:

    Hi Sara,

    Try one more thing and if it doesn't work, then find another
    program. Once in a while, when all else fails, highlight the
    whole edit field and then (laptop equivalent) press the read line
    keystroke twice quickly. With desktop, that is insert + up arrow.

    On 10/22/2020 9:41 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

    It does not. You type in the sign and hit enter. If I need to
    edit a call, good luck, as that part is hard to do so I'd better
    get it right.

    To read the calls, I up and down arrow but I cannot move left
    and right to read the characters and hitting nvda left and right
    yields blank blank blank. In fact object mode yields nothing at
    least in the net logger window.

    http://www.tffppodcast.com

    http://tffppodcast.com/shadow

    Our discord http://discord.tffppodcast.com is where you will
    know when we go live on twitch. http://twitch.tv/ke7zum Feel
    free to give the channel a follow and see what is up there.

    For stream archives, products you can buy and more visit my main
    lbry page http://lbry.tv/@ke7zum and my tffp lbry page
    http://lbry.tv/@tffp You will also be able to buy some of my
    products and eBooks there.

    Http://patreon.com/tffppodcast

    On 22 Oct 2020, at 14:19, Ron Canazzi wrote:

        Hi Sara,

        Does this net logger have an edit field for each item?  If
        so, then either try using screen review or object
        navigation. I used to use an old ham database program years
        ago and using NVDA, if you moved to the edit field and then
        switched to object navigation, highlighted the callsign and
        then used the 5 key you could usually get it to work. If not
        try using screen review--a bit clumsy, but it may also work.

        On 10/22/2020 4:00 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

        I can't do that. I use an app called "netlogger." and using
        what ever that would be in laptop keys yields "blank blank
        blank" even though I typed in the stuff. So that won't
        work. You can find out more about netlogger here.
        http://netlogger.org and it's free so feel free to
        download and see what I mean.

        website. http://www.tffppodcast.com

        http://tffppodcast.com/shadow

        Our discord http://discord.tffppodcast.com is where you
        will know when we go live on twitch.
        http://twitch.tv/ke7zum Feel free to give the channel a
        follow and see what is up there.

        For stream archives, products you can buy and more visit my
        main lbry page http://lbry.tv/@ke7zum and my tffp lbry
        page http://lbry.tv/@tffp You will also be able to buy
        some of my products and eBooks there.

        here Http://patreon.com/tffppodcast

        On 22 Oct 2020, at 11:57, Ron Canazzi wrote:

            Hi Sara,

            Using JAWS, there was a setting to 'spell alpha numeric
            expressions.'  NVDA does not have this option. What I
            do when running nets is to highlight the callsign and
            then use the keypad 5 key to read the callsign and if I
            can't tell what the call is initially, I double punch
            the 5 key to have the expression spelled alpha
            numerically as in alpha alpha 2 victor Mike.

            On 10/22/2020 1:26 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

            Hello to all. For those that don't know, I'm an
            amateur radio operator, and in a week I'm due to run a
            net. Fine, except I struggle with reading ham calls. I
            know on the BNS there was a ham calls option where it
            would read those such as ke7zum. Is there such a thing
            for nvda? Or can an option be thought of, an add on
            that could be turned on and off at will to allow for
            such? I know this won't happen by the 27th when I'm
            due to control, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who
            would like this.

            I'm using the ibm tts voices but espeak and david does
            this as well. I can't code or I would find a way to do
            this myself.

            The thing that makes this harder is not all call signs
            are 2 by 3 like mine. Some are a 1 by 1, or a 1 by 2.
            I've even seen some 2 by 2 calls.

            Thanks all.

            --

            Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to
            our website. http://www.tffppodcast.com

            http://tffppodcast.com/shadow

            Our discord http://discord.tffppodcast.com is where
            you will know when we go live on twitch.
            http://twitch.tv/ke7zum Feel free to give the
            channel a follow and see what is up there.

            For stream archives, products you can buy and more
            visit my main lbry page http://lbry.tv/@ke7zum and
            my tffp lbry page http://lbry.tv/@tffp You will also
            be able to buy some of my products and eBooks there.

            Finally, to become a patron and help support the
            podcast go here Http://patreon.com/tffppodcast

            --             They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
            They ask: "How Happy are You?"