Re: NVDA Addon PDF2Text and python 3

Rob Hudson

I could google it I know. But can you provide a link for this software you're discussing?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian Vogel" <britechguy@gmail.com>
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2020 12:19:18 -0700
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA Addon PDF2Text and python 3

On Mon, Oct 26, 2020 at 02:49 PM, Daniel Damacena wrote:

As far as I know, it's not able to execute OCR. It converts directly.
-
The only way an image PDF, where the image contains text, gets converted to a text-base (or, more likely, image with separate text layer) PDF is via OCR.

I've loved the OCR function of Tracker Software's PDF XChange Viewer ( https://www.tracker-software.com/product/downloads/discontinued ) for years.† The software is free, and it supports a slew of other languages ( https://www.tracker-software.com/pdf-xchange-ocr ) besides English.† Sadly, it's not accessible for its main function of reading/viewing PDF files, but the OCR process is accessible.† A couple of my clients who were graduate students found its capabilities as far as OCR goes extraordinary, as do I.† I know that OCR has improved radically over the course of the last several decades, but so far it's the most accurate I've found on some pretty crappy source image PDFs.

I need to look into whether there is a command line invocation for the OCR function that would allow output to be redirected conveniently for PDF XChange Viewer.† I never bothered to look into that.

Itís hard waking up and realizing itís not always black and white.

~ Kelley Boorn