Re: Excel Column and row headings not recognized by JAWS

Gerry Chevalier <gerry.chevalier@...>

I am not using the JAWS labels but rather the Excel Define Name labels specified by JAWS and NVDA does recognize them. The issue is that the NVDA user Guide says that the headings established with the NVDA shortcut keys also result in Excel Define Name labels and it says JAWS will recognize them but it does not. As far as I can see the Define Name labels that NVDA sets up are not of the same specification as JAWS.

Thanks, Gerry

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Monday, October 26, 2020 7:53 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Excel Column and row headings not recognized by JAWS

Screen reader specific ways of defining row/column headers are "local to" those specific screen readers.

This is why I always encourage people to set up row/column labels in Excel itself.  There was just an extensive discussion regarding this, and how to set up row/column labels in Excel itself that "go with" the spreadsheet, somewhere.  I need to do some searching to find it.  I know that Alan Lemly wrote the tutorial on this, but I can't recall the group and topic at this very moment.

     ~ Kelley Boorn