Re: A web dialog that isn't automatically read by NVDA

Quentin Christensen

Thanks Brian,

In this instance, and without having seen the page myself, several things stand out to me:

- Firstly, the problem is reproducible in Chrome but not Firefox.  Such a scenario is almost always caused by either the page creator not following standards, or the browser (Chrome in this case) not interpreting them correctly - usually the former unless you can find consistent issues across multiple sites.

- The issue is reproducible with both NVDA and Jaws.  Again, indicating an issue with the page (or Brower), OR that NVDA and Jaws have independently done something wrong in how this particular web content is interpreted.  The fact that Narrator can read it, indicates there might be other things we could try such as pulling information from the graphics card - which could be useful for working with an otherwise inaccessible program, although in the case of a specific page which isn't written correctly, it is likely better to approach the web page designer about the issue.

It's often difficult with an isolated case to determine where the issue lies.  In this case, I would hazard a guess that most probably the issue is in the individual page code.  Next most likely is Chrome not doing something correctly, and third inline is BOTH NVDA and Jaws not interpreting something correctly.

If it were something you could find examples of on numerous sites, I'd be inclined to lean towards a Chrome bug (or a poorly written standard which numerous developers have read one way and the Chrome developers have read a different way).

It's definitely something which can be hard to pin down though, so it's always worth asking about.

Quentin.

On Fri, Oct 30, 2020 at 10:35 AM Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:
This is a situation where all appearances are that it's on "the Chromium side" that the bug exists in that something that should be exposed to the screen reader in a standard way isn't being exposed.  This is particularly indicated by the fact that Firefox, which uses an entirely different rendering engine, doesn't have the problem, and you know the webpage code has to be the same.

Now, what I don't know is the best way to approach this.  I have no idea how to file a bug report/trouble ticket or similar in such a way that all Chromium-base browsers would receive the fix.  I believe most of them do use the updated Chromium core code as it gets released, but I'm not 100% certain of that.

There are times when it may make sense to file a bug report with your screen reader's developers (NVDA, in this case) since there tends to be a far more consistent and open communication channel between the organizations that build and maintain screen readers and the various web browser development communities than any end user has any ability to tap.  But I don't know if this is the case here.  I am going to flag Quentin Christiansen on this message to have him weigh in.

This is a gray area as far as whose cage should be rattled initially by the user(s) having issues.

     ~ Kelley Boorn

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager