Re: appending to clipboard instead of just copying to clipboard?

Cearbhall O'Meadhra

Joseph,

Thank you for your excellent work with Microsoft on our behalf! I have recently enabled Clipboard History on my PC running windows 10 latest update. Is there any way to get NVDA to see the ellipses at the edge of each entry in the Clipboard History? I can access delete by hitting the Delete button on my external keyboard. However, I would like to be able to pin some items and explore some of the other options that are on the drop down menu under the ellipses. Is there any way to do so?

All the best,

Cearbhall

m +353 (0)833323487 Ph: _353 (0)1-2864623 e: cearbhall.omeadhra@...

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joseph Lee
Sent: Tuesday, November 3, 2020 1:05 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] appending to clipboard instead of just copying to clipboard?

Hi,

Actually, when you do tab through clipboard history interface, an overlay cursor may appear to move. Same goes with opening the clipboard history context menu where the three options mentioned by Brian can be found.

I investigated ways to support announcing additional interface items at least twice, the most recent being a few months ago. Each time, a fix led to unacceptable experiences and regressions. Part of this has to do with the way modern keyboard interface is designed (note that I use the term “modern keyboard” to refer to emoji panel, clipboard history, dictation, modern input method editor interfaces and such). Being an overlay window, modern keyboard does not raise events which allows NVDA to automatically announce what’s focused, and once closed, Windows does not tell NVDA that the overlay window is closed properly. This results in NVDA forgetting what you were working on when modern keyboard interface is closed, forcing you to switch apps. The fix does allow you to review additional controls at the cost of hunting for what you were doing last, which to me is unacceptable. The focus issue is the main reason why I told Microsoft to look into usability issues with modern keyboard interface changes in recent Insider Preview builds, as the new interface isn’t working with NVDA (thankfully, the latest Insider Preview build does restore the stable emoji panel interface that does work with NVDA).

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dan Beaver
Sent: Monday, November 2, 2020 4:04 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] appending to clipboard instead of just copying to clipboard?

Hi Brian,

the problem is that on my system tabbing doesn't get me to those options.  All I can do is cursor through the entries in the history and press spacebar to paste that entry or hit delete to delete it.

Thanks.

Dan Beaver

On 11/2/2020 6:13 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

Dan,

The three options "per item on clipboard history" are Delete (this item), Delete All, and Pin.  It's no surprise that a straight hit of the Delete key deletes the single item.  I wonder if a CTRL+ or ALT+ might do a Delete all?  I have no idea what might do a Pin.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041  

It’s hard waking up and realizing it’s not always black and white.

~ Kelley Boorn

-- 
Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

Avast logo

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.