Can anyone explain the Input Composition checkboxes in NVDA settings?

That's pretty much it.  There are scads of NVDA settings that I do not really understand, for which I am unaware of specific documentation to read, and where the descriptions at the controls themselves don't help me to understand what they mean at all and what the potential ramification(s) is (are) of checking or unchecking any one of them.

     ~ Kelley Boorn