Re: character count countdown with edit box

Gene

NVDA doesn't have a turn off aria alerts setting. it should. If a site is programmed incorrectly, aria speecch can be very disruptive.

From: Sean Randall
Sent: Saturday, November 07, 2020 10:30 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] character count countdown with edit box

I think this sort of announcement is triggered by ARIA alerts and I’m not aware of a way to stop NVDA reading those as a matter of course. Some websites really abuse alerts, perhaps with developers not understanding the purpose of the feature.

I’d love an addon that allowed you to mark specific web-page elements to alert or not as the user wanted on-the-fly, there are probably more sites who don’t use ARIA at all than overuse it, but both cases are frustrating.

S.