Re: How to spell out Roman numerals

Janet Brandly

Hi again Brian,

That’s right, these are the only Roman numerals I need NVDA to speak. There would always be a space preceding the numeral; however, occasionally (perhaps 5 to 10% of the time) there would either be a letter or Arabic  number directly after the Roman numeral, without a space. I am using these numbers/numerals for things like fracture and cancer staging/grading.

Thanks so much for your help,

Janet

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: November 7, 2020 2:15 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] How to spell out Roman numerals

Janet,

Just to be crystal clear, we're talking the following Roman numerals, which I will put spaces between each character for the purposes of this post so that they get read character by character:
I one
I I two
I I I three
I V four
V five
V I six
V I I seven
V I I I  eight  
I X  nine
X ten

You don't want or need something like X V I read for sixteen?

It's very easy to come up with a couple of short regular expressions that can handle the Roman numerals for the numbers one through ten.  It's a lot more difficult if you wanted it to handle any Roman numeral, e.g, 2020 written out as M M X X, or 1959 as M C M L I X

If all you want is one through 10 I'll toss together the regexes and replacement strings and post them for you to add to your speech dictionary.  I will also presume that any of these Roman numerals will have a preceding space and space after unless they are located as the start of a line or end of a line.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041  

It’s hard waking up and realizing it’s not always black and white.

~ Kelley Boorn

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.