Re: How to spell out Roman numerals

Gene

It isn't clear to me after experimenting with the speech dictionary how the whole word setting works. I had originally thought that those who wanted to have something like Roman numerals spoken as standard numbers might need another choice in the speech dictionary. There is now whole word and anywhere as choices. As I thought about it, I thought that whole word should work and that no other option would be necessary. If IV were seen as a whole word and the dictionary spoke 4 when it saw IV with spaces on either side, if you include spaces in the entry, that that would not result in extraneoussspeaking of 4. So another choice in the list of radio buttons, as Ioriginally suggested, wouldn't be needed.

I experimented with this and iv by itself with spaces in the pattern field and 4 in the pronounced as field doesn't work. IV is still spoken as IV when written in this way. what does NVDA consider a whole word? When I try a word such as alive and use the whole word setting, that works. Perhaps what NVDA sees as a whole word needs to be changed.

Since most people won't know how to work with regular expressions, the ability to do this sort of thing using the whole word option might be valuable.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, November 07, 2020 5:01 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] How to spell out Roman numerals

On Sat, Nov 7, 2020 at 04:53 PM, Gene wrote:
This could be made much easier,-
What could be?

Everything you write after this is essentially what I proposed: using the speech dictionary with regular expression matching to very strictly limit what is captured and substituted.

One of the beauties of regular expressions is how they can be crafted to catch only what you want.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041

It’s hard waking up and realizing it’s not always black and white.

~ Kelley Boorn

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.