Re: How to spell out Roman numerals

Sean Randall

the problom with this approach is that other letters than I would lose their meaning, such as x, v, c and so on.

whether NVDA should pronounce Iii as "3` or "I I I" is a matter for the synthesizer and user though, surely we shouldn't proscribe that level of detail for users in the general case.

On 8 Nov 2020, at 11:55, Gene <gsasner@gmail.com> wrote:

I think I figured it out. When using the whole word setting, if I don't include a space before and afgter the numeral, it works. I made an entry iv and in the pronounced as field I placed 4. I didn't make it case sensative because I wanted to test what the dictionary would do in general.

When it saw iv in a word such as exclusive, it read the word properly. When it saw iv just as letters, whether they were at the beginning of a line with a space after, in a sentence with a space before and after, or at the end with a period afgter, the dictionary read iv as 4. This may be of considerable value for those who don't know how to work with regular expressions and want to make Roman numeral pronunciation rules that work properly. The only thing I can think of that shouldn't be placed in the dictionary is a single I and 1 in the pronounced as field. You would constantly hear I spoken as in One went to the store.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Gene
Sent: Saturday, November 07, 2020 5:41 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] How to spell out Roman numerals

It isn't clear to me after experimenting with the speech dictionary how the
whole word setting works. I had originally thought that those who wanted to
have something like Roman numerals spoken as standard numbers might need
another choice in the speech dictionary. There is now whole word and
anywhere as choices. As I thought about it, I thought that whole word
should work and that no other option would be necessary. If IV were seen as
a whole word and the dictionary spoke 4 when it saw IV with spaces on either
side, if you include spaces in the entry, that that would not result in
extraneoussspeaking of 4. So another choice in the list of radio buttons,
as Ioriginally suggested, wouldn't be needed.

I experimented with this and iv by itself with spaces in the pattern field
and 4 in the pronounced as field doesn't work. IV is still spoken as IV
when written in this way. what does NVDA consider a whole word? When I try
a word such as alive and use the whole word setting, that works. Perhaps
what NVDA sees as a whole word needs to be changed.

Since most people won't know how to work with regular expressions, the
ability to do this sort of thing using the whole word option might be
valuable.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Brian Vogel
Sent: Saturday, November 07, 2020 5:01 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

On Sat, Nov 7, 2020 at 04:53 PM, Gene wrote:
This could be made much easier,-
What could be?

Everything you write after this is essentially what I proposed: using the
speech dictionary with regular expression matching to very strictly limit
what is captured and substituted.

One of the beauties of regular expressions is how they can be crafted to
catch only what you want.

~ Kelley Boorn

[Recycle trees] Save a tree...please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to.

Confidentiality Notice
This message and any attachments are private and confidential and may be subject to legal privilege and copyright. If you are not the intended recipient please do not publish or copy it to anyone else. If you have received this message in error please notify the sender immediately by using the reply facility in your email software and then remove it from your system.

Data Protection
We comply with data protection legislation, including the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), and take the security and privacy of personal data very seriously. If you no longer wish to receive emails from us please forward this email (so we can see who it was sent to you by) to dpo@ncw.co.uk<mailto:dpo@ncw.co.uk> with your request, and we will review our information in line with your wishes.

Disclaimer
Although this email and attachments have been scanned for viruses, New College Worcester accepts no liability for any loss or damage arising from the receipt or use of this communication.