From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Quentin Christensen
Sent: 09 November 2020 03:15
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA and Microsoft Office Outlook 2003

In NVDA's advanced settings, there is an option to use UIA in Word.  Outlook essentially uses Word to display messages, and I wonder if something is going funny in the older version of Office with this new setting:

1. Press NVDA+control+g to open NVDA's settings.
2. Press CONTROL+SHIFT+TAB to move from the first page to the last page, advanced.
3. Press space to check the "I understand that changing these settings may cause NVDA to function incorrectly" checkbox.
4. Press TAB to "Use UIA automation to access Microsoft Word document controls when available.
5. Press space to uncheck this.
6. Press ENTER to close settings
7. Press NVDA+contorl+c to save NVDA's settings.

I'm not sure exactly why the freeze is happening, but I expect the reason it is happening as soon as you move focus to that problematic email in the list, is because Word is trying to show you a preview of the message in the preview page.  To be honest, I can't recall the steps for Outlook 2003, but according to Google: "To turn off the preview pane: In Microsoft Outlook 2003 and 2007, select the View menu, navigate to Reading pane and click Off. In Windows Mail, click on the View menu and select Layout. Under the Preview Pane section, uncheck "Show preview pane"."

Regards

Quentin.

On Sun, Nov 8, 2020 at 9:54 AM Raymond Brough <rjbrough54@...> wrote:
Hello Folks

Approximately 2 months ago I commenced using NVDA, currently version 2020.3.  Within a couple of weeks of this I subscribed to this group and this is my first post.

I am in the midst of having the software on my desktop and laptop computers upgraded / changed and, to spread the learning curve and disruption,  have opted to carry this out in 2 phases.

Firstly, I upgraded to Windows-10, Firefox and Google chrome, and changed to using NVDA.  Previously I was using Windows-7, Internet Explorer 11 and JAWS.

Secondly, and imminent, I will be upgrading to Microsoft 365 from Microsoft Office 2003.  Prior to doing so, there are several tasks I would like to complete.  Unsurprisingly, bearing in mind the age of Microsoft Office 2003, I am experiencing some difficulties but finding work arounds for or tolerating the vast majority of them.  However, their is one which is proving extremely frustrating in respect of Outlook 2003!

When reading back and forth through an HTML or Plain Text e-mail thread using the 4 arrow keys, when I read some e-mail addresses in the second most recent message in the thread, or messages prior to this, NVDA often stops speaking and my computer freezes.  It appears the only way to get out of this is to relaunch NVDA:
Windows Key+r nvda Enter.

After relaunching NVDA, when I alt+tab, all of the applications / messages / files etc. I was working with / on are still open.  However, when the message causing the problem is highlighted I have to quickly tap the End Key or Ctrl+Home to take the cursor away from the e-mail address causing the problem, otherwise, failure to do this quickly enough will result in a reoccurrence of NVDA being silenced and the computer freezing.

When I invoke continuous read,
NVDA Key+Down Arrow
the e-mail thread is read back without a problem!

The problem occasionally occurs when using Microsoft Office Word 2003.  When reading some, not all, e-mail addresses in a file.

If there is a solution to the problem I would be pleased to read about it.  However, I suspect I may be advised / told to upgrade to Microsoft Office 365 slightly quicker than I planned.

I have searched for a solution in the NVDA manual and on the website, and also carried out an internet search.  It appears NVDA will support elements of Microsoft Office from version 2010 to 365.

I look forward to your replies.  In anticipation, many thanks.

Raymond Brough - slowly shedding his dinosaur clothes

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager