Please do NOT post full logs or log segments to the NVDA Group #adminnotice

Hello All,

          Even though the subject says, "Please," this is really not a request, but a command.  In an Admin Notice from earlier this year (List Updates, Please Read), Nimer Jaber, NVDA Group Owner, stated explicitly:

  • Speaking of logs, we should avoid sending long logs to this list.
    • Logs may contain personal information to your system, your set-up, or possibly keystrokes you press, etc.
    • It is not expected that users on this list will know how to read logs, or that they will dissect those logs for you to determine the issue. Please reach out to NVAccess directly. No doubt there is already a process in place for this, however we shouldn't ask users to post logs to this list.

I'm now going beyond that, and saying, "Don't, really don't, ever post full logs or log segments to this group."

It's fine to ask for help and indicate that you have a log or log segment available for review to anyone who requests it.  And our regulars who are capable of dissecting logs now routinely ask that those be delivered to them privately via e-mail (typically), or some other method out of the public view.

Just don't post 'em here!

        ~ Thomas Reed Powell