Re: Using Google Voice Webpage with NVDA

Jackie

Brian V, the actions you can take on the GV page depend on which tab
is selected, as you well understand. NVDA does speak the state of the
tabs, so at any time you know which tab is selected. Changing the
selection is as easy as pressing the spacebar on the tab you wish
selected. Since these aren't, as you say, tabs in the "traditional"
sense, quick nav doesn't work, but I've never seen quick nav work
w/tabs anyway.

Basically, c acts as a combo box either when you're searching or
entering recipient phone numbers. & when finished entering a number,
press enter on it to select your choice, else it goes away. So tabs on
which you can't enter a phone number, such as voice mails, only allow
c to act as a combo box.

The s (for separator) key does work quite well for quickly navigating
between the various parts of the page.

Truthfully, I don't think c works at all as a call shortcut key unless
you use insert 2 to pass it thru. But s gets you to the call panel
quickly, so, really, there's not much need of it.

If that doesn't answer your questions, please ask again, & maybe I'll
get it right the next time. I haven't had coffee yet, so take this
w/whatever amount of salt you deem appropriate, understanding my need
for coffee to engage what little brain I have left is extremely high.

Thanks for the work you do on this list & for your work outside it
w/adaptive tech.

First, if you are not already a Google Voice user and have a Google Voice
phone number, feel free to mute this topic almost immediately.  What I am
about to ask is not about how to use Google Voice, per se, because I do so
all the time, but about getting NVDA to "play nice," if possible, with the
page for one's Google Voice calling/texting/voicemail as well as the two
tabs for archiving and reporting spam.

If I go through the page with NVDA active, via point and click, when I land
on the control for "Call" it says, "Call tab selected,"  Note, this is not a
browser tab, nor is it presented in the way that tabs are conventionally
presented.  I have yet to find a way to do a quick navigation to any of
them, though brute force tabbing (or shift+tabbing) always ends up with
these controls as part of the traversal.

I also have not figured out, exactly, when it is that NVDA is going to
handle the C keyboard shortcut for looking for a combo box versus passing it
to Google Voice as a shortcut for "make a call," which it is when Google
Voice has control.  Depending on where I have focus on the screen, it
sometimes acts as a quick navigation shortcut and others as a Google Voice
keyboard shortcut.  And none of these times is when I'm in an edit box,
which behaves as I'd expect.

If anyone has experience using Google Voice via the webpage with NVDA who
can shed some light about accessing it with NVDA, would you please share?

*If you think that you can think about a thing, inextricably attached to
something else, without thinking of the thing it is attached to, then you
have a legal mind.*

~ Thomas Reed Powell