Re: NVDA - Next Beta

Quentin Christensen

Actually, the announcements of new releases should become even more timely now.  Reef has been hitting the "Go" button on many of our releases, and he has been in Europe for the last year or so, which meant sometimes releases happen in the night my time (and I need all the beauty sleep I can get!) - He's back in Australia now, so releases should normally not be too late in the evening here now.

As Carlos indicated, things are moving towards the next beta release cycle.  There isn't one out yet, but we'll definitely post in the group here, and on nvaccess.org when it's available.  In the meantime, if you do want to try out the latest updates and code, you can find our alpha releases at: https://www.nvaccess.org/files/nvda/snapshots/

I regularly ramble on about the release cycle in our In-process blog: https://www.nvaccess.org/category/in-process/ But basically we release "alpha" builds just about daily (sometimes several in a day, sometimes we go a couple days without one) - these include whatever fixes and new features have been worked on lately - and there's no guarantee they're 100% stable.  As we get closer to a release, we put out a Beta version.  Any major issues identified are fixed and we may go to a second or third beta as needed.  Once we think we have everything ironed out, we release a "Release Candidate" or RC build.  Unless any major issues are identified, this will be the same as the final release.  If anything troubling is found, we (hopefully) fix it, or revert whatever caused it, and put out a second (or third or more) RC build.  Once an RC build has been out for a week or so with nothing major being reported, we release the final stable version and start working towards the next version.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Thu, Nov 19, 2020 at 4:14 AM Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:
Also, the advent of any beta has been reliably announced in this very group by NVAccess staff for a very long time now, and typically on the first day it's available.

A direct download link is also generally provided as well.

        ~ Thomas Reed Powell

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager