Re: There is something not right about this release of NVDA, but I can't put my finger on it

Jaffar Sidek <jaffar.sidek10@...>

Hi.  The shift key to pause speech definitely works fine when you are perusing a document.  But when you are doing something else, like debugging a program or recording a music track, the shift key is of no use whatsoever because you do not want to be burdened with extraneous and useless info that either makes no sense, or might make sense but which is info you don't need at that particular moment, hence the need for the control key to shut up the unnecessary blabbering.  Cheers!

On 19/11/2020 7:41 am, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Wed, Nov 18, 2020 at 05:50 PM, Quentin Christensen wrote:
I have found in cases like that, SHIFT is often more immediate (with the advantage you can press it again to keep reading from where it stopped).
-
This just shows how much a creature of habit I have become.  Even though I have looked at the Commands Quick Reference I can't even count how many times and never noticed this, always using CTRL (or ESC, which has the same effect on speech - stopping it immediately).

I can easily see SHIFT becoming the go-to pause speech command, as the ability to pick up right where you paused [if the synthesizer supports same] is something that comes in incredibly handy in so many instances!

        ~ Thomas Reed Powell