NVDA doesn't speak on Windows Log-on Screen

Sandra Pilz

Hi,

I'm using the current version of NVDA on an Intel NUC. It has a HDMI-Port and I am using a HDMI to VGA adapter to connect to my monitor. This adapter has a regular 3.5 mm 1/8 inch plug which I use to connect to a pair of speakers. When I start the machine, at first NVDA doesn't speak when I'm on the logon screen. On my Braille display I can see that I'm indeed on the logon screen and that NVDA is running. Now, if I close NVDA and start it again, it does speak. So it is able to send speech through HDMI, just not when it starts automatically during logon.

Does anybody know why this is and how I could fix it? Up to now I just thought that the HDMI sound driver was no good and I used an external USB soundcard to have speech immediately, but now that I have discovered that it's not the HDMI sound driver, I would like to have NVDA speak on the log on screen reliably to free up the USB port the external sound card is currently plugged into.

Regards

Sandra