Re: NVDA doesn't speak on Windows Log-on Screen

Sandra Pilz

Hi Tyler,

On the Logon Screen, you asked me to go to the select synthesizer dialogue and check if microsoft sound mapper was active. Yes, it is. When I just press enter, NVDA starts to talk.

So I'm not sure why id doesn't speak immediately on the Logon Screen...

Regards

Sandra

Am 21.11.2020 um 12:11 schrieb Tyler Spivey:

Let's check the obvious thing first. You've got a braille display, so this should be easy.
Reboot your machine and get to the logon screen.
Press ctrl+NVDA+s to open the Select Synthesizer dialog. Tab to Audio outputĀ  device.
1. Is it set to Microsoft Sound Mapper? If not, set it to that. Does speech come back?
If it is, just press enter. Does speech come back then?

On 11/21/2020 2:16 AM, Sandra Pilz wrote:
Hi,

I'm using the current version of NVDA on an Intel NUC. It has a HDMI-Port and I am using a HDMI to VGA adapter to connect to my monitor. This adapter has a regular 3.5 mm 1/8 inch plug which I use to connect to a pair of speakers. When I start the machine, at first NVDA doesn't speak when I'm on the logon screen. On my Braille display I can see that I'm indeed on the logon screen and that NVDA is running. Now, if I close NVDA and start it again, it does speak. So it is able to send speech through HDMI, just not when it starts automatically during logon.

Does anybody know why this is and how I could fix it? Up to now I just thought that the HDMI sound driver was no good and I used an external USB soundcard to have speech immediately, but now that I have discovered that it's not the HDMI sound driver, I would like to have NVDA speak on the log on screen reliably to free up the USB port the external sound card is currently plugged into.

Regards

Sandra