Re: possible long-standing bug

Gene

NVDA doesn't say something like home or top. You can tell by context and by knowing the command. You can have home spoken by turning on the speak command keys option in the keyboard settings, but I really don't think you want to do that, That option is so overly verbose that it is useless, speaking every time you press an arrow key, backspace, control arrow key, etc. There is no option for people who want certain specific commands spoken such as home and end and not have other commands spoken.

From: Bob Cavanaugh
Sent: Saturday, November 21, 2020 11:13 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] possible long-standing bug

Hi all,
Please forgive me if I'm reporting in the wrong place, but I've
noticed a bug that has been kind of annoying since I've been primarily
using a laptop. I'd have to investigate whether or not NVDA reads
things as expected if I use the actual buttons, but if using the
numpad, it does not. For instance, with the numpad off, 7 acts as the
home key, with control+home moving to the top of the file. It's been a
while since I've tried this using the actual home key, but while
control+numpad 7 works as expected, there is no verbal indication that
it does so, it's only by using the arrow keys to move around the
document that you are made aware of the position change. Something
similar happens when switching sheets in Excel. The commands are
control+page up (numpad 9) and control+page down (numpad 3) to switch
between sheets. However, NVDA does not say the name of the sheet you
are working with until you take some other action on the sheet.
Bob